Monday, June 18, 2012

Seven years

Seven years ago today - I married my husband.

I confess it has been the most challenging - yet most rewarding experience of my life. When we decided to get married - it was exciting and fun and new. But after a while, I found myself asking why am I getting married to this person again... Whats in it for me? Will I be happy?

As I get older (shutter) and only by the grace of God - I am finding out that living life here on earth is not about getting whats in it for me or making sure I am happy; as the world would try to have me believe. And marriage is no different. It must be Christ-centered, not self or man-centered.

Below is a quote from Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. We have read this book several times; and I encourage anyone (especially singles) to read this book and embrace the concept that the marriage relationship is second to your relationship with Christ - it's about being holy, not happy.


"For the Christian, marriage is a penultimate rather than an ultimate reality. Because of this, both of us can find even more meaning by pursuing God together and by recognizing that he is the one who alone can fill the spiritual ache in our souls. We can work at making our home life more pleasant and peaceable; we can explore ways to keep sex fresh and fun; we can make superficial changes that will preserve at least the appearance of respect and politeness. But what both of us crave more than anything else is to be intimately close to the God who made us. If that relationship is right, we won't make such severe demands on our marriage, asking each other, expecting each other to compensate for spiritual emptiness." 

As I continue on this journey of marriage - it is my hope and prayer that God will continue to use us - to spurn one another on. I am so grateful that God has put me with someone who I am to love and forgive, who I can serve and pray for - pointing one another to a reconciling Creator. Of course I have days where I make it all about me and severe disagreements - and forget that I are supposed to picture Christ to my husband. I'll even admit that sometimes I resolve in my heart, that I will not be loving, forgiving, serve or pray until he does first... But I believe its through those experiences as well, that I am humbled and brought to my knees. I am so glad that Christ didn't wait until I was perfect and cleaned up before he welcomed me into his family and extended forgiveness, love, mercy and grace.



1 comment:

  1. So true!! I love that quote. Thanks for this lovely reminder. :-)

    ReplyDelete